Humorous Quotes from
Dave Barry is not taking this Sitting Down
By Dave Barry
- I had arrived at the airport one hour early so
that, in accordance with airline procedures, I could stand around.
- Every year, hundreds of thousands of people try
their hand at this demanding profession (humor columnist). After a few
months, almost all of them have given up and gone back to the ninth grade.
- If you're hungry enough, you will eat wood chips.
(That's why beavers do it. There is no way they would gnaw on trees if they
ever found out about pizza delivery.)
- The Flight was scheduled to go directly to
Houston, so finally, after navigating around the sky for several hours, we
landed in: New Orleans.
- One of the problems with horse racing is that key
parts of the race take place several miles away, so that even if you can
find the horses, they look like a herd of stampeding squirrels. I think the
sport would be better off if the horses stayed directly in front of the
grandstand, perhaps on a treadmill.
- Perhaps you think think it is impossible to bet on
six horses in an eight horse race and still not win any money. Perhaps
you're an idiot.
- Decades ago, when I was full of energy I was going
to not only END WORLD HUNGER, but also STOP WAR and ELIMINATE RACISM.
Whereas today my life goals, to judge from the notes I leave myself, tend to
be along the lines of BUY DETERGENT.
- According to Rob (my son), I understand the
universe about as well as a barnacle understands a nuclear aircraft carrier.
- Like many young people of today, my son does not
appreciate classical musicians such as Stones; he is more into bands with
names like "Heave" and "Squatting Turnips."
- In person, he (Mick Jagger) looks like Yoda
wearing a Mick Jagger wig.
- It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who
have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who
apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity.
- Like any drug, caffeine can have serious side
effects if we ingest too much. This fact was noticed in Ancient Egypt when a
group of workers, who were supposed to be making a birdbath, began drinking
Egyptian coffee, which is very strong, and wound up constructing the
- I came to need coffee, and even today I can do
nothing useful before I've had several cups. (I can't do anything useful
afterward, either; that's why I'm a columnist.)
- My doctor is named Curt, and the only time I go to
his office is when I am experiencing a clear-cut medical symptom, such as an
arrow sticking out of my head.
- I liked it better when my only medical
responsibility was to stick my tongue out.
- The true cause of bad whether, contrary to what
they been claiming all these years, is TV weather forecasters, who have
single-handedly destroyed the ozone layer via overuse of hair spray.
- Scientists who study weather are called "meteorologists,"
to distinguish them from scientists who study meteors, who are called
"scientists who study meteors."
- Motto of the U.S. airline industry - "We're
Hoping to Have a Motto Announcement in About an Hour."
- This year, U.S. airlineswill carry a record 143
million passengers, who will be in the air for 382 million hours, during
which they will be fed an estimated total of four peanuts.
- The U.S. airline industry is still one of the
safest on earth; the only nation with a better safety record is the Republic
of Kyrgyzstan, which has only one airplane and can't figure out how to start
- In modern America, food is abundant everywhere
except aboard commercial airplanes.
- The popular sport of professional wrestling is definitely
"on the up and up." Its integrity is protected by safeguards every
bit as stringent as the ones used to protect America's most vital nuclear
- It takes a special type of person to be a
professional-wrestling referee, the type of person who, if he had been
present when the Hindenburg was being consumed by a giant ball of flame,
would have been looking, with intense interest, at the ground.
- Six months ago, they were college students,
sitting around their dorms, trying to figure out what body part to pierce
next; now they are the CEOs of Something-Dot-Com.
- By today's beauty standards, of course, Marilyn
Monroe was an oil tanker.
- Today's beauty ideal, strictly enforced by the
media, is a person with the same level of body fat as a paper clip.
- She's a gourmet cook who can make anything. I bet
she has a recipe for cold fusion.
- I went through puberty with the Beach Boys (not
literally, of course; we all had separate rooms).
- I have no idea what kind of engine I have sittin'
under my hood. I could have a food processor sittin' under there.
- I have obtained some shocking information
regarding our National Security - information that I am going to reveal to
you now, despite the chilling fact that, by revealing it, I am placing
myself in direct, personal peril of winning a Pulitzer Prize.
Have you checked out
this super book?
Back to Humorous Quotes
WorkingHumor.com now has a Facebook Page. It's still a baby, hasn't learnt how to dance yet
but maybe you're the one we're waiting for, to get the party started ;o!
Check it out here